Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Day 3 - Joshua 1:9

Day 3 - Joshua 1:9
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

I love this verse and actually have a post-it note of it in the front cover of my Bible. I first ran across this verse during an adult Sunday school class at our church and remember thinking, "this is so true!" The verse surrounds the story of Joshua taking over as leader of the Israelites after Moses' death. Joshua was weary about the future. However, God knew Joshua was capable of great things.

This verse is a great reminder to me that regardless of what I face, God is with me and wants me to be strong and courageous as I follow His will for my life.

Please comment or email me if you are memorizing these verses with me, or if you have any suggested verses. I'd love to know and learn the favorites of my family and friends.

3 comments:

  1. Jolene,
    Perhaps my favorite verse is Job 36:26 (KJV): “Behold, God is great, and we do not know him….” I wrote a bit about this verse on Paul's blog & can be found here: http://witoozy.com/faith

    Another favorite is Romans 9:16 (NIV): “It does not, therefore, depend on man’s desire or effort, but on God’s mercy.” This idea something we know in our heads, but often don’t live out—trying instead to measure up to our (or other people’s) preconceived notions about what it means to “be a Christian”. If we're completely honest, we're not really comfortable with some of the ways other people demonstrate their Christian faith.

    I find that different translations help me when memorizing scripture. Sometimes the KJV is great for memory; other times, the language is complicated. Sometimes I find the language of the NIV sterile and factual, without the emotion undertones found in other translations. For those having difficulty memorizing scripture, I encourage you to consider a variety of translations for verses or passages. Online searches provide ready access to a host of translations.

    Different translations also add insight to context and culture of the written time. As an example, here are three other translations of Romans 9:16:

    "So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy." (KJV)

    "Everything then depends on God's mercy and not on what people want or do." (CEV)

    "Compassion doesn't originate in our bleeding hearts or moral sweat, but in God's mercy." (The Message)

    All the best as you continue this endeavor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This verse is actually stenciled on Colby's wall. After I finished stenciling his room this was a verse that I thought would speak volumes for him as he grew older. And there it is for all to see who enter his room. It speaks volumes for me also as I strive to make God the focus of my thoughts, life and adventures! Thanks Jolene!

    Cathi

    ReplyDelete
  3. My recommendation is Matthew 25:45

    "He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'"

    This verse is a humbling reminder of my need to act on opportunities to care for others. It isn't enough to care for others, but also to not "pass" on caring for others.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete