Friday, June 19, 2009

White Space

A co-worker of mine recently attended a motivational session and the speaker discussed the importance of reducing stress in our lives by adding in "white space." White space refers to an openness in your life to just "be." For example, white space (or open times) on your daily planner, white space in the number of activities you involved in, and white space in your mind and heart.

If I think about it long enough, I'm not sure what area of my life is the most difficult to include white space. However, I do know that when my calendar is full of all our family's activities, my mind and my heart are even fuller and my stress level reaches it's maximum.

Over time, I've been trying to reduce my stress level and increase my free time, or "white space." I've declined offers to "help", and even removed myself from a volunteer board. We only allow the boys to be in one sports activity at a time, and even though that is still busy, we are able to manage the schedule and still enjoy the events.

Despite any efforts (or futile attempts) to increase the white space in my life, my day will always be full. That's just who I am. I am much more productive when I have things to do and I'm forced to get things done. If I had nothing to do, then nothing would get done. Make sense? Strange, but true.

Do you have enough white space in your life?

3 comments:

  1. Great thought! It makes me think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I myself go crazy if I don't have "white space." While I can easily become over committed, I realize it GREATLY affects my emotional state if I don't intentionally plan white space. Not easy to do; very difficult for others to understand at times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jo. Thanks for your comments on my blog, it's nice to hear from you. So, what do your Vikings fans think of Favre? He's not so popular here in WI...:)
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete