Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Happy Birthday!

Today is our oldest son's 11th birthday! 11 years old! I can hardly believe it. 11 years ago today, I was overcome with joy and excitement of being blessed with my firstborn son. (The day before was a very different story)! My dream of being a mother had begun and it's been a dream ever since. I always wanted to be the mother of boys and God graciously blessed me with two!

11 years ago I didn't have any idea what I was getting into. I had no idea my world would spin when he was hurt. I didn't know that I would need an endless supply of milk, spaghetti and Oreo's in the kitchen. I had no idea that I could learn to like and even understand basketball and football. Never did I imagine that another person could push my buttons and frustrate me beyond belief. I never knew that I could love someone more than myself or even my husband. I didn't understand unconditional love until I became a mother. It's probably better I didn't know. However, knowing what I know now, I still would have chosen to be a mother.

There were things I hoped for as a mother, too. I always wanted to raise our children to know and love the Lord. I prayed they would be safe, healthy and happy. I hoped for "good boys," ones with manners who demonstrated respect. I wanted to have a trusting relationship with my kids so that if they were sad, confused, hurt or frustrated, they would have someone to turn to. Only with God's grace and a wonderful husband and father have we seen these things happen. They are still so young and have so much yet to experience. But for now, I am thankful for what God has provided.

So with my oldest, I became a mother. It has been the most wonderful, fulfilling and challenging years of my life. I love that boy. I love everything thing about him - even the bad traits he unfortunately inherited from me. He is a true joy to have in my life. I can only hope that the next 11 years of his life are better than his first 11 years. He will be 22 and finishing college. He may even have a special lady in his life. (I've already started praying for her - wherever she may be). Wherever he is in life, I pray he is still loving the Lord and is safe, healthy and happy.

So to my son...
I love you Buddy. Thank you for being a terrific person and son. I love you more than life and I thank God for allowing ME to be your Mom. I am truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment