Monday, November 24, 2008

The Lone Baritone


Tonight, history was made. Our 5th grader participated in his first Band Concert. (That's him in the back row). Not only did he do an amazing job as a band member, but he also nailed his two solos on the baritone. However, there is so much more to this story.

Let me step back a few years. When he was in second grade, he started piano lessons and within a few months, he wanted to quit. He did well, but hated to practice. We told him that he had to take piano for at least 2 years. Needless to say, he held us to that promise and decided to quit. However, a couple of weeks after school started, he came home and announced that he had joined the band and was playing the baritone. After the initial shock, I was thrilled that he had chosen to continue playing music. He even wanted to practice! I couldn't believe my eyes...or ears.

So, tonight at his 5th grade concert, I was beaming as he played in the band. He was very excited as he anticipated the concert and his solos. He smiled before and afterwards and played his instrument with pride. I was happy for him because he was proud of himself and his performance. It's fun to watch our children do well.

Congratulations Buddy! Mom & Dad are very proud of you!!

1 comment: